NEW JERSEY LOTTERY KICKS OFF 50th ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION YEAR
- $42 Billion in Prizes Awarded to its Players since 1970 -
- Innovative New Games & Chances to play in 2020 -
TRENTON (Jan. 8, 2020) – The New Jersey Lottery, one of the largest lotteries and the third oldest in the United States, is excited to celebrate 50 years of fun-filled gaming with a year-long celebration that includes the introduction of new games and producing on-going fun and entertainment for players, with continued commitment to responsible gaming while providing financial support to the state.
“Fifty years ago, New Jersey voters took a chance and approved a state Lottery, which turned out to be a winner. The original hope was that the lottery would generate $12 million in profit annually. Last year, the New Jersey Lottery contributed over a billion dollars to the state,” said James A. Carey, Acting Executive Director of the New Jersey Lottery.
Launched in 1969, the lottery was born with the goal of raising funds to support education and state-run institutions. Today the New Jersey Lottery is committed to providing revenue-generating entertainment products to help protect the retirement benefits of those who serve our community, including New Jersey’s teachers, police officers, firefighters, and other public employees.
“We have so many reasons to celebrate fifty years of success. Since 1970, the New Jersey Lottery has produced over $28 billion in revenue for the state and $42 billion in prizes for our players – making over 2,000 millionaires in the process. I can’t wait to meet the next group of winners at our kickoff events,” said Carey.
THE KICK-OFF EVENTS
The year-long celebration will kick off with two events open to consumers where $50,000 in various prizes will be available to attendees 18 and over, and some (literally) “up for grabs” with the premier of the New Jersey Lottery CA$HNADO, an interactive, prize -grabbing, everybody-is-watching experience.
- January 9, 2020; 2:30 - 4:30 PM: Bridgewater Commons Mall in the Atrium
- January 11, 2020; 4-6 PM: Wild Wild West in Atlantic City
WHAT TO EXPECT: 2020
New in 2020 are the New Jersey Lottery touchscreen vending machines, making it easier than ever to buy Scratch-Off and draw game tickets at select retailers. Additional new offerings include:
- Picking Up ‘Pick 3’: Celebrating Pick 3, New Jersey’s oldest game, by offering Pick 3 players $40,000 additional instant cash prizes;
- New Scratch off Prize Pool with ‘The Multiplier’: New Jersey’s largest scratch-offs family prize pool ever, with more than $340 million in prizes in February;
- Giving players a FREE collectible 50th Anniversary scratch coin with any Scratch-Off purchase at retailers in February;
- New Rewards for Lottery’s VIP Club members: A special 50-50-50 Promotion during 2020; 50 winners per week for 50 weeks each winning $50 in Scratch-Offs with different ways to win each week;
- New Oversized ‘Super 50 Ticket’: New Jersey Lottery’s biggest Scratch-Offs ticket ever! Look for this oversized ticket loaded with prizes in stores in March.
The New Jersey Lottery’s commitment to responsible gaming will continue to be a priority in 2020. Since 2016, the Lottery has received Level 4 Certification from the World Lottery Association in Responsible Gaming, which is the highest recognition awarded for corporate social responsibility and responsible gaming. Additionally, to ensure the safety of our most vulnerable population, the annual “Not 18 Yet? No Bet” campaign effectively educates retailers and residents that NJ Law prohibits the sale of lottery tickets by or to anyone under 18. Also, the Lottery partners with the Council on Compulsive Gambling of NJ, Inc. and it supports the Council’s vital mission to advocate for individuals who experience disordered or problem gambling.